Sister1 is getting married! I realize that people get married all the time, but this is my sister we’re talking about here! Getting married! For serious!
Last Wednesday I woke up to a missed call and a text: “you better call me back.” Sister1’s boyfriend proposed Tuesday night. It didn’t come as a surprise, but that doesn’t make their engagement any less wonderful.
They’re still deciding what they want to do about this whole wedding business.
Sister1 doesn’t want to do anything! I know it’s their wedding and they can do what they want, but I’m going to take advantage of their indecision and this bloggy platform to lobby my opinion:
Reason’s Why Sister1 Should Have a Wedding:
- You only get married once! I know in this day and age that statement is statistically untrue…but Sister1’s been with her boyfriend from high school to college, through semesters abroad and multiple moves and jobs and all kinds of things, and they’re still ridiculously in love. So I really really really don’t think either of them is going to need to re-marry ever. This is their only shot!
- Three words for you: Wedding. Cake. Tasting. Bakeries give you an assortment of their cakes to sample. No duh! How does it work? Go here.
- If you’re worried about who is going to marry you, don’t be! I’ve done the research and am fully prepared to get Joey-from-Friends-style ordained in the state of California.
- Bridal showers and a bachelorette party. They “shower” you with gifts! And Sister2 and I are totally psyched to host an absolutely fabulous bachelorette party.
- This song. And this one. We’re all going to cry and it’s going to be great.
- A wedding dress. You can go all Say Yes To The Dress style, or just a simple J. Crew. But you’re young, you’re good-looking, and everyone knows that your wedding day is the most beautiful day of your life!
- Your best friends come from all over to hang out with you. Because they love you. And that’s fun!
- Honeymoon. You’ll go on one anyways, so I guess this isn’t a reason to have an actual wedding. But readers, I need your input – where should they go?
I’m not saying we need to get all super-wedding here. A simple ceremony in a park and going out to brunch afterwards would suffice. Or you could do the city hall thing and then rent a restaurant. Or we could go Easter-style and do it at Mt. Tam. The possibilities are endless!
Either way, BEST WISHES AND CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!
(Emily from Gilmore Girls taught me that you congratulate the groom and give best wishes to the bride. Lessons learned.)
Aren't they cute???