1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs or chocolate wafer crumbs
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Stir together crumbs, butter, and sugar and press on bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake about 15 minutes, and cool on a rack.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used almond extract)
3 Drops Jasmine Absolute from Aftelier (optional - I didn't use it)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream, divided
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart mixing bowl; set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks
3) Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.
4) Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens; boil for 1 minute
5) Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the reserved chocolate and butter.
6) Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
7) Pass the filling through a strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps.
8) Place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly.
1) Place the heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl.
2) Whip until the whisk begins to leave tracks in the bowl.
3) Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until the cream holds a medium peak.
Transfer the cooled filling to the cooled crust. Level the top with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. Let it chill thoroughly. (OMG I just realized that I did this wrong. Whoops! Way to go me and reading a recipe! I poured my filling into the crust when it was hot instead of after it had cooled. It worked ok, but maybe if I did it the right way the crust would have stayed crunchier...)
Serve with the whipped cream on the top of the pie or top individual slices with the cream. I also garnished with finely chopped dark chocolate. Just to make it prettier!
Would you like a piece of pie?