When life gives you lemons, make Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.
I realize that’s not how the saying usually goes, but can you really disagree? I mean, lemonade is good, but can anything really compare with a rich and chocolatey cake covered in sweet creamy (and pink!) frosting? Nope. Nothing can.
A few weeks ago SpeedyKate and I had a chocolate cupcake-needing day, so I made a batch of these babies to cheer us up. I knew they would be good – but oh man this is almost like a flourless chocolate cake kind of good. I only wish I had some right now!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry ButtercreamPrintable recipe.
(Recipe adapted from Une Gamine Dans La Cuisine.)
For the cake:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
- 2 ounces chopped bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate (I used unsweetened)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream OR Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup pureed strawberries (or a large spoonful of strawberry jam)
- A splash of milk or cream if your frosting is too thick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl combine butter, chopped chocolate, and cocoa. Either set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to melt the butter and chocolate while stirring until smooth OR microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring between. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, wish flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk the chocolate into to the egg mixture.
- Sift in about 1/3 of the flour mixture. Then add the sour cream or Greek yogurt. Stir in remaining dry ingredients.
- Divide evenly among the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes. (Warning: Do not over-bake! Err on the side of underdone for these. I baked for 20 minutes and it was a bit too much.) Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then remove to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Beat all ingredients together. Add more sugar or some milk as needed to either thicken or loosen your frosting.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost with a spatula or piping bag.