Ok so I know that a frosting recipe is not a cake of the week per say. But I also know that (for most of you out there) frosting is your favorite part of the cake eating experience. And though I'm more of a cake girl myself (I value a reasonable frosting-to-cake ratio), I bake for friends, so I know what's up. More frosting is always appreciated.
This Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting is delightful. You know when you stick your finger into something you've made for a taste and immediately think (or say) Ohmygosh wow go me? That is this frosting. It has fresh strawberries and jam, so take advantage of those end of summer berries while you can! Pretty soon we're going to be all pumpkin all the time, but it is currently in the mid-90s here in Boston (ugh), aka still summer.
I used this frosting on Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes (my favorite chocolate cake recipe). I imagine it would also go well with a white cake, or oooh lemon cake! This recipe makes enough for one cake (2-3 layers), or for a batch of cupcakes. You could also adapt it for any fresh berry/jam combo -- I'm thinking blueberry? Or raspberry, though raspberries have seeds.
Strawberry Cream Cheese FrostingIngredients:
- 1 block (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons strawberry jam or jelly
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 fresh strawberries, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons milk, as needed
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, fresh strawberries, and jam with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth(-ish, the fresh strawberries will be a little chunky of course).
- Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add milk if the frosting is too thick.
- Spread on everything!