350 F oven, 40 - 50 minutes to bake, 2 loaves
- 1 ½ cups melted butter
- 1 ¾ cups brown sugar (or 1 ½ cups honey)
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract plus ½ tsp almond extract
- grated rind of 1 orange (semi-optional...aka I never have it so I never add it)
Beat in a large bowl, beginning with sugar or honey and butter, add eggs one at a time. Add remaining ingredients, and beat until light in color.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups well-mashed ripe bananas soaked in 1 cup strong black coffee
- Optional: ¾ cup nuts
- Optional: 1 cup chocolate chips
Add flour mixture and banana mush alternatively to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour (flour - banana - flour - banana - flour). After each addition mix gently to combine, but do not beat or otherwise overmix - this toughens and dries a cake. Add nuts last. Generously butter 2 loaf pans and sprinkle with sesame seeds (they'll stick to the butter) (I skip the seeds and just grease and flour the pans). Divide batter and bake.
Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to finish cooling.