Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Dried Cherries (recipe adapted from First Look, Then Cook)
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacao), chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°.
Arrange coconut in a single layer in a small baking pan. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Set aside to cool.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; stir until blended. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in vanilla and egg. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in toasted coconut and chocolate.
Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire racks.