Considering that I’m spending my morning researching and following the news about the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan, I don’t really feel a Best of the Week post is appropriate.
I didn’t even know that the earthquake (8.9 according to USGS!) occurred until I got to work (since it happened too late to make it into today’s newspaper). Clearly I’m no earthquake expert but here are a few quick facts:
- An 8.9 magnitude earthquake occurred at 2:46 am (DST) off the Japanese coast, about 230 miles northeast of Tokyo.
- The quake caused 33-foot waves to strike the coast of Japan, washing away cars and buildings and overturning large ships
- Aftershocks (the highest of which was 7.4) continue to shake the island.
- Tsunami warnings have been issued across the Pacific Ocean, but so far nothing dramatic has occurred.
- Power is out in about 4 million homes in and around Tokyo.
- Transportation (bullet trains, airports, etc.) is shut down.
- The Japanese government evacuated the area around one of its nuclear power plants as a precaution because the water levels of the plant were malfunctioning due to the quake. Now, the World Nuclear Association has said it understands the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is "under control", and that water is now being pumped into its cooling system.
- Death tolls are in the hundreds...but so far very inconclusive.
For more info, I recommend checking out the BBC (source of the infographics), they seem to have things pretty well covered.
On the lighter side, my most popular post this week was the Banana Nut Nutella Cinnamon Rolls (again!), so thanks for reading!