Rhubarb has been all over the interwebs recently, and LLC has adopted an awesome, albeit expensive, philosophy: when you see it, buy it!
LLC made these bars for me and I could not stop eating them. Rhubarb Bars for dessert with vanilla ice cream? Check. Rhubarb Bars settled next to my breakfast apple? Check. Snacktime Rhubarb Bars? I wish!!! (I ran out...gotta make some more!)
Me: I’m going to post your bars. Any comments?
LLC: Aside from the fact that they may be the best, simplest dessert ever???? And should be served with whipped cream on top because whipped cream is the greatest thing on earth?
So that, my dear readers, is that. Enjoy these. I know I did.
Mom’s Rhubarb BarsPrintable recipe.
Ingredients for filling:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 4 cups of rhubarb, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and set aside.
- Over medium heat, cook rhubarb, sugar, vanilla for about 10 mins. Stir frequently. Add corn starch mixture. Bring to a boil. Stir until thick. Put to the side.
- 1 ½ cups of oatmeal
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Mix ingredients into a crumble.
- In an ungreased 9x13 pan, place ¾ of the crumble mixture in the pan and pat down.
- Spread the rhubarb evenly on top. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the rhubarb.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven at 375 deg for 35-45 mins -- until it is lightly browned and bubbling.