Have you heard of Slutty Brownies? [No! Do tell!] Or perhaps the longer but more PG title: Double Fudge Cookies and Cream Chocolate Chip Brownies? Whatever you want to call them they are pretty amazing.
After seeing a recipe for these bars on multiple blogs I decided that I had to try them. They are a lot of work if you decide to make the brownies and cookie dough from scratch, but I enjoy some baking “work” and these bars are definitely worth it. Just make sure you have somewhere to bring them, or a friend, spouse, or office to give them to...trust me, you don't want to be home alone with these!
According to Geoff [brother-in-law] as he took his first Slutty Brownie bite, “The first word that comes to mind is confusing.” He couldn't tell what part he liked better -- just brownie and cookie, or everything all together at once. For me, the real magic happened when I got everything in one bite. Oreo cookie flavor is just so delicious! [I wish I were there to taste and offer an opinion! Overnight mail next time? Yes please?]
I won't be making these often because they are so dangerous (in the best way possible), but I'm glad I tried them!
I made the brownie batter and cookie dough from scratch but you could also use mixes for both.
Slutty Brownies aka Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar
Original recipe from Kevin and Amanda.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) milk chocolate chips
(OR you can use a family-sized brownie mix prepared according to the box instructions.)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I didn’t use these)
- 1 pkg Double Stuffed Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with wax paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer: Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to thoroughly combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, then slowly incorporate into the mixer until the flour is just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- For the Brownie Layer (from KAF): In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Or simply combine the butter and sugar, and heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Continue to heat (or microwave) briefly, just until the mixture is hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating the mixture to this point will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- While the sugar heats a second time, crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla till smooth.
- Add the hot butter/sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Add the flour, again stirring until smooth.
- Assembly: Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Top the cookie dough with a layer of Oreos.
- Pour the brownie batter over the cookie dough and Oreos.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 15-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting — brownies may still be gooey in the middle when still warm, but will set up perfectly once cooled.
Note: To half this recipe for an 8×8 brownie mix, simply half the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients.